Friday 17 March 1972, St. Patrick's Day
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mia Hamm in Selma and Melissa Auf der Maur.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Heart Of Gold by Neil Young.
In UK Without You by Nilsson was in the top 5 hits.
Pink Flamingos, directed by John Waters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Winds Of War by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Split Second.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hunt the Wumpus or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1972.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1972!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1972 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Mia Hamm in Selma: Alabama, USA; soccer forward (Olympics-1996, US Women's World Cup-1999).
- Melissa Auf der Maur: Canadian musician, a bass player in Hole and Smashing Pumpkins.
- Pasha Grishuk: Russian ice skater: Ice Dancer, partner of Evgeny Platov.
- Mia Hamm: Selma, Alabama -- Soccer forward (1996 Olympics).
- Melissa der Maur: Canadian-American singer-songwriter and bass player (Hole The Smashing Pumpkins and Tinker).
- Torquil Campbell: English-Canadian singer-songwriter and actor (Stars and Memphis)
- Marc Gunn: American harp player (Brobdingnagian Bards)
- Sean Price: American rapper and producer (Boot Camp Clik and Heltah Skeltah) (d. 2015)
- Ringo releases Back off Bugaloo in the UK
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Neil Young - Heart Of Gold
- America - A Horse With No Name
- Robert John - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh) (Mbube)
- Nilsson - Without You
- Bread - Everything I Own
- Paul Simon - Mother And Child Reunion
- Climax - Precious And Few
- Cher - The Way Of Love
- Donny Osmond - Puppy Love
- The Osmonds - Down By The Lazy River
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?