Thursday 17 March 1988, St. Patrick's Day
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Sparkles* and Grimes .
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley.
In UK I Should Be So Lucky by Kylie Minogue was in the top 5 hits.
Frantic, directed by Roman Polanski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while The Bonfire Of The Vanities by Tom Wolfe was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Chelmsford 123.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Fire-Brigade The Battle for Kiev - 1943 or Kid Kool.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1988!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1988 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Sparkles* : Rock Singer.
- Grimes : Pop Singer.
- Rasmus Elm: Swedish footballer.
- Fraser Forster: English footballer.
- Ryan White: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Nikolas Asimos: Greek counter-culture composer and singer (Born 1949).
- Les Miserables, opens at Det Norske Teatret, Oslo
- Highest scoring NCAA basketball game: Loyola-Marymnt 119, Wyoming 115.
- Iran says Iraq uses poison gas.
- Apple Computer files a copyright infringement suit against Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement by Windows 2.0 of graphical display technology used in the Macintosh.
- Eritrean War of Independence: The Nadew Command, an Ethiopian army corps in Eritrea, is attacked on three sides by military units of the Eritrean People's Liberation Front in the opening action of the Battle of Afabet.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 March 1988
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
- Belinda Carlisle - I Get Weak
- George Michael - Father Figure
- Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror
- Richard Marx - Endless Summer Nights
- Patrick Swayze - She's Like The Wind
- Debbie Gibson - Out Of The Blue
- David Lee Roth - Just Like Paradise
- Keith Sweat - I Want Her
- Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?