Thursday 17 May 1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Sue Carpenter and Sugar Ray [Charles] Leonard.
In UK No Other Love by Ronnie Hilton was in the top 5 hits.
The Killing, directed by Stanley Kubrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Rosemary Clooney Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 May 1956!
Which were the important events of 17 May 1956 ?
- Norwegian Constitution Day or Syttende Mai.
- Dfa das Letras Galegas ("Galician Literature Day") ? holiday in Galicia, honouring the Galician language.
- Bah�'f Faith ? Feast of 'Azaamat (Grandeur) ? First day of the fourth month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Saint Paschal Baylon or Pascal Baylon
- Saint Montanus
- Saint Dietmar
- Saint Pamphamer
- International Day Against Homophobia aka IDAHO
- Saint Pamphalon
- Saint Solochon
- Saint Adrian of Alexandria
- Sue Carpenter: TV presenter / journalist.
- Sugar Ray [Charles] Leonard: Willington, South Carolina -- Boxer (1976 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- "Sugar" Ray [Charles] Leonard in Palmer Park: Maryland, USA; welter/middle/light-heavyweight boxing champion (Olympics-gold-1976).
- Bob Saget in Philadelphia: Pennsylvania, USA; comedian/actor (Danny - Full House, America's Funniest Home Videos).
- Micheline Apers-Borghs: Belgian athlete; a fencer.
- Sugar Leonard: American boxer, the Olympic Gold Medal welterweight champion in 1976 at Montreal. Leonard won the World Welterweight title over Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns. On 4/06/1987, Leonard made his second boxing comeback by defeating Marvin Hagler for the middle-weight world championship.
- Annise Parker: American politician. Parker has served as the mayor of Houston since January 2, 2010. She served as an at-large member of the Houston City Council from 1998 to 2003 and city controller from 2004 to 2010.
- Mark Smith: American fencer, the U.S. national champion in 1981 and 1983. As an Olympic contender on the men's Foil Team, he was a member of the U.S. team in 1980 who didn't get to participate because of America's boycott of the games.
- Bob Saget: American actor
- Dave Sim: Canadian cartoonist and author
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?