Sunday 17 November 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include David Hayward and Luke Kelly.
The Letter, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 November 1940!
Which were the important events of 17 November 1940 ?
- Slovakia - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day commemorating the beginning of the Velvet Revolution in 1989.
- Life Day
- International Students Day
- R.C. Saints - Elisabeth of Hungary; Gregory of Tours; Hilda of Whitby; Hugh of Lincoln
- Also see November 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- David Hayward: American jazz musician and a trumpeter who still plays pro gigs in the '90s.
- Luke Kelly: Irish singer and banjo player (The Dubliners) (d. 1984).
- Aşık Şerif: Turkish composer author and poet (d. 2002).
- Raymond Pearl: American biologist and botanist (d. 1940).
- Green Bay Packers become first NFL team to travel by plane.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Down Argentina Way - Bob Crosby & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?