Wednesday 17 October 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK A Woman In Love by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
I Vitelloni, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1956!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1956 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Fran Cosmo: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Boston and Orion the Hunter).
- Mae Jemison: American physician academic and astronaut.
- Pat McCrory: American businessman and politician 74th Governor of North Carolina.
- Henri Giscard d'Estaing: French business figure and son of former French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing.
- Patrick McCrory: American politician.
- Mae C Jemison in Decatur Alabama USA medical doctor astronaut (Sked: STS 47).
- Robin LO Linschoten: Dutch ass. Secretary of Social Affairs (VVD)
- Anne Crawford: Israeli-English actress (d. 1956).
- Pakistan defeat Australia by nine wickets at 1st attempt
- The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- The Game of the Century: 13-year-old Bobby Fischer beats GM Donald Byrne in the NY Rosenwald chess tournament.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1956 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 October 1956 and get them!