Monday 17 October 1966
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Danny Ferry and Mark Gatiss.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Reach Out I'll Be There by Four Tops.
In UK Distant Drums by Jim Reeves was in the top 5 hits.
The Fortune Cookie, directed by Billy Wilder, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Cliff Dexter.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1966!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1966 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Danny Ferry: American basketball player: forward, Cavaliers.
- Mark Gatiss: English actor and writer.
- Shaun Edwards: English rugby player and coach.
- Tommy Kendall: American race car driver and television personality.
- A fire at a building in New York, New York kills 12 firefighters, the New York City Fire Department's deadliest day until the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- Botswana and Lesotho join the United Nations.
- The Aberfan disaster occurs in South Wales, United Kingdom.
- The AFL-NFL merger is approved by the U.S. Congress.
- British spy George Blake escapes from Wormwood Scrubs prison he is next seen in Moscow.
- Spain demands that the United Kingdom stop military flights to Gibraltar Britain refuses the next day.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 October 1966
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There
- ? (Question Mark) and the Mysterians - 96 Tears
- The Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
- The Association - Cherish
- Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
- The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee
- Johnny Rivers - Poor Side Of Town
- Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
- Herman's Hermits - Dandy
- Eric Burdon and the Animals - See See Rider
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?