Wednesday 17 October 1973
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Keith McKenzie and Lorie Bennett West.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Angie by The Rolling Stones.
In UK Eye Level by Simon Park Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.
Charley Varrick, directed by Don Siegel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ca smo na ovom svitu....
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Gotcha or Space Race.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1973.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1973!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1973 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Keith McKenzie: NFL defensive end (Green Bay Packers - Super Bowl 31).
- Lorie Bennett West: Miss Kentucky USA (1996).
- Bruce Toussaint: French journalist and radio-TV host.
- Andrea Tarozzi: Italian footballer and coach.
- Ingeborg Bachmann: Austrian Austrian poet and author.
- 5-mo oil embargo by Arab states against US and Netherlands begins
- Arabs decrease oil production
- Five-month oil embargo by Arab states against US and Netherlands begins.
- OPEC starts an oil embargo against a number of western countries, considered to have helped Israel in its war against Syria.
- The Arab Oil Embargo against several countries which support Israel triggers the 1973 energy crisis!--confirmed here--.
- The Saturday Night Massacre: U.S. President Richard Nixon orders Attorney General Elliot Richardson to dismiss Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox. Richardson refuses and resigns, along with Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus. Solicitor General Robert Bork, third in line at the Department of Justice, then fires Cox. The event raises calls for Nixon's impeachment.
- The Sydney Opera House is opened by Elizabeth II after 14 years of construction work.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rolling Stones - Angie
- Cher - Half-Breed
- The Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin Man
- Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia
- The Isley Brothers - That Lady (Part 1)
- Eddie Kendricks - Keep On Truckin' (Part 1)
- Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
- DeFranco Family - Heartbeat-It's A Lovebeat
- Marie Osmond - Paper Roses
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?