Friday 17 October 2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Live Your Life by T.I..
Role Models, directed by David Wain, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Brisingr by Christopher Paolini was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 2008!
Which were the important events of 17 October 2008 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 October
- Levi Stubbs: American baritone singer (Four Tops) (Born 1936).
- The President of France Nicolas Sarkozy withdraws tacit support for the Quebec sovereignty movement shown by some of his predecessors in a visit to Quebec City. (Reuters)
- U.S. Congressman Vito Fossella is convicted of drunken driving. (AP via Fox News)
- China has made rules which were introduced for the Olympic Games allowing foreign reporters to interview without applying for permission permanent. (BBC)
- Morgan Tsvangirai of Zimbabwe's Movement for Democratic Change states that power-sharing talks with President Robert Mugabe have failed to reach an agreement. (BBC)
- Fourteen Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam members of the Lok Sabha in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, including two ministers and five ministers of state, hand in post-dated resignations to party chief M Karunanidhi. (''Hindustan Times'')
- The United States Supreme Court overturns a lower court’s order requiring state officials in Ohio to supply information that would have made it easier to challenge prospective voters. (''New York Times'')
- The United States State Department claims that North Korea has stepped up disablement of its nuclear reactor and allowed surveillance of its nuclear facility to resume. (CNN)
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration declares that the beluga whale of Alaska's Cook Inlet is an endangered species. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- The Parliament of Germany passes a 500 billion euro ($673.8 billion) bank bailout. (Reuters)
- The Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper states that Canada and the European Union support an international summit on the crisis before the end of the year. (Reuters)
- Sachin Tendulkar of the India cricket team becomes the highest aggregate run scorer in Test cricket at 0901 hrs(GMT) and the first to pass 12,000 in scoring 88 during the second test against Australia at the Punjab Cricket Association Stadium in Mohali. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 October 2008 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?