Monday 17 September 1923
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Adam's Rib, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1923!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1923 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Ralph Sharon: English-American pianist composer and conductor (d. 2015).
- Hank Williams: American musician, a country western singer and songwriter who wrote about 125 songs with no formal musical training, without knowing a note of music.
- John Hale: Linguist.
- Bob Rothel: American baseball player, a right-handed third baseman who played four games with the Cleveland Indians in April 1945.
- A major fire in Berkeley, California erupts, consuming some 640 structures, including 584 homes in the densely built neighborhoods north of the campus of the University of California.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1923 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Dirty Hands! Dirty Face! - Irving Kaufman (Ben Selvin Orch)
- Bebe - Billy Jones
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in September 1923?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 September 1923 and get them!