Monday 17 September 1928
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Beggars of Life, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1928.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1928!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1928 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Maurice Prat: France sport Champion.
- Park Honan: American author and academic (d. 2014).
- Brian Matthew: British disc jockey.
- Charles Selecman: Dallas EXecutives.
- Roddy McDowall: British child actor who came to Hollywood in 1940 and developed into an unpredictable adult performer, skilled in any variety of roles.
- 48th US Mens Tennis: Henri Cochet beats F T Hunter (46 64 36 75 63)
- Henri Cochet wins US Tennis Open
- Hurricane hits Lake Okeechobee, Florida, USA drowning 1,800-2500.
- Pitcher Ray Boggs hits three batters in one inning.
- The Okeechobee Hurricane strikes southeastern Florida, killing upwards of 2,500 people. It is the third deadliest natural disaster in United States history, behind the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 and the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?