Tuesday 17 September 1929
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
The Great Divide, directed by Reginald Barker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1929.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1929!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1929 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Sil Austin: American saxophonist (d. 2001).
- David Craig: Baron Craig of Radley Irish air marshal and politician.
- Pat Crowley: American actress.
- Stirling Moss: auto racer, killed while racing at age 32.
- John Stewart-Clark: MEP (C).
- Lord Craig of Radley: Marshal (RAF)
- Henri Delauze: French engineer, diver and entrepreneur who founded the company COMEX. He died on 14 February 2012 at Marseille.
- Sir Stirling Moss: English race car driver
- British troops begin evacuating
- A coup ousts Augustinas Voldemaras in Lithuania the new president is Antanas Smetona.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?