Wednesday 17 September 1930
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Madam Satan, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1930
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1930!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1930 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- David Huddleston: American actor.
- Lalgudi Jayaraman: Indian violinist and composer (d. 2013).
- Theo Loevendie: Dutch clarinet player and composer.
- Jim Rohn: American philosopher and author (d. 2009).
- Thomas Stafford: American astronaut, the pilot of Gemini 6 on 12/15/1965, commander of Gemini 9 on 6/03/1966 and backup commander of Apollo 10 on 5/18/1969.
- Edgar Mitchell: American astronaut who, through an Apollo flight, became the sixth man on the Moon on 1/31/1971. He also worked as an aeronautical engineer and as a Doctor of Science, teaching at the college level. From 1952-1959 he served in the U.S. Navy and, from 1964-1965, he worked as a project manager with the Navy's Field Office; he was in charge of the Manned Orbiting Lab.
- David Huddleston in Vinton: Virginia, USA; actor (How the West Was Won).
- Dorothy Loudon: Cambridge, Massachusetts -- Actress / singer (Garry Moore Show)
- Edgar Dean Mitchell in Hereford: Texas, USA; Captain US Navy/astronaut (Apollo 14).
- Gwyn Francis: British Forestry commissioner
- Thomas P Stafford in Weatherford: Oklahoma, USA; US Air Force/astronaut (Gemini 6, Gemini 9, Apollo 10, Apollo 18).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1930 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Star Dust - Isham Jones & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 September 1930 and get them!