Thursday 17 September 1931
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Anne Bancroft in the Bronx and Jean-Claude Carriere.
Monkey Business, directed by Norman McLeod, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1931
On TV people were watching Ruth Kerner.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1931!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1931 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Anne Bancroft in the Bronx: New York, USA; American actress (The Graduate) (dies 2005).
- Jean-Claude Carriere: French writer, screenwriter and actor.
- Anne Bancroft: American actress on-screen from 1952 who won the Best Actress Oscar for her role in "The Miracle Worker.
- Didier Motchane: French magistrate and politician, one of the founders of 'Le Centre d'études, de recherches et d'éducation socialiste' (CERES).
- Jean-Claude Carrière: French actor and screenwriter.
- 1st LP record demonstrated (RCA Victor, NYC), venture failed
- Operetta Victoria & Her Husband, premieres in London
- Red Sox Earl Webb sets record with 65 en route to 67 doubles
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?