Saturday 17 September 1932
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Parker and Indarjit Singh.
Maedchen in Uniform, directed by Leontine Sagan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1932
But much more happened that day: find out below..
You can also have a look at the whole 1932 or at September 17 across the years.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 17 September 1932 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 17 September 1932 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
See other famous people born on 17 September
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Subscribe to our Newsletter
What news were making the headlines those days in September 1932?
- Science: Science vol. 76 issue 1968
- Time: TIME Magazine Cover: Henry L. Stevens Jr. -- Sep. 12, 1932
- Science: Science vol. 76 issue 1967
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Nobel Laureate Pearl S. Buck’s epic Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and Oprah Book Club selection about a vanished China and one family’s shifting fortunes.Though more than seventy years have passed since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer Prize, it has retained ...
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. Hesperides Press are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Second in the trilogy that began with The Good Earth, Buck's classic and starkly real tale of sons rising against their honored fathers tells of the bitter struggle to the death between the old and the new in China.
Louis Golding (1895-1958), a Ukrainian-Jewish writer born in Manchester, wrote Magnolia Street, a 1932 bestseller based on the Hightown area of Manchester, as it was in the 1920s featuring a street divided into 'gentile' and 'Jewish' sides.
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Tell the world why 17 September 1932 is such a special date for you!