Wednesday 17 September 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Kidd and James Watkins.
Unconquered, directed by Cecil B. De Mille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Author Meets the Critics.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1947.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1947!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1947 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Robert Kidd: Marine geoscientist.
- James Watkins: American merchandising marketeer and CEO of Golden Valley Microwave, a manufacturer of microwavable popcorn and frozen potato products.
- Tessa Jowell: English social worker and politician Minister for the Cabinet Office.
- Gail Levine: American author.
- Jeff MacNelly: American political cartoonist (Born 1948).
- Jackie Robinson is named Rookie of Year by Sporting News
- US Department of Defense forms
- James Forrestal sworn in as first US secretary of defense.
- September 21 ampndash The 1947 Fort Lauderdale Hurricane in southeastern Florida, and also in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, causes widespread damage and kills 51 people.
- National Security Act of 1947 becomes effective on this day creating the United States Air Force, National Security Council and the Central Intelligence Agency.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?