Friday 17 September 1948
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Johnny Belinda, directed by Jean Negulesco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1948!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1948 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- John Ritter in Burbank: California, USA; actor (Jack - Three's Company, Hooperman).
- Jeff MacNelly: American political cartoonist (d. 2000).
- John Ritter: American actor and member of a theatrical family.
- Raphy Leavitt: Puerto Rican-American accordion player and composer (d. 2015).
- Kemal Monteno: Bosnian singer-songwriter (d. 2015).
- Patricia Kluge: Baghdad, Iraq -- Wife of Billionaire John Kluge
- KCOP TV channel 13 in Los Angeles / Hollywood, CA (IND) begins
- WLS TV channel 7 in Chicago, IL (ABC) begins broadcasting
- The Lehi (also known as the Stern gang) assassinates Count Folke Bernadotte, who was appointed by the UN to mediate between the Arab nations and Israel.
- The Nizam of Hyderabad surrenders his sovereignty over the Hyderabad State and joins the Indian Union.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 September 1948 and get them!