Monday 17 September 1951
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
No Highway in the Sky, directed by Henry Koster, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1951
while The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1951.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1951!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1951 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Cassandra Peterson: American actress.
- Mistress of the Dark Elvira: American TV hostess of horror films, a unique character first creating in 1981 for a Los Angeles TV station where she commented on old movie reruns.
- Russell Brown: Scottish politician.
- Piet Kleine: Dutch speed skater and coach.
- Jimmy Yancey: American pianist and composer (d. 1951).
- Borscht Capades opens at Royale Theater NYC for 90 performances
- Romanian Bishop A Pacha of Timisoara sentenced to 18 years
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1951 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?