Saturday 17 September 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Scott William Simpson and Koralia Karanti.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Killer's Kiss, directed by Stanley Kubrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching ITV Television Playhouse.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1955!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1955 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Scott William Simpson: San Diego, California -- PGA golfer (1987 US Open).
- Koralia Karanti: Greek actress.
- Hubert Couilloud: French sommelier and maitre d'hotel at the Côte d'Or restaurant in Saulieu, Burgundy.
- Marina Lima: Brazilian singer and songwriter primarily known for upbeat, funky music.
- Robin Yount: American baseball player who made his debut on April 5, 1974 and played his final game on October 3, 1993.
- Ankles Aweigh closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 176 performances
- Future Hall of Famer Oriole Brooks Robinson goes 2-4 in his 1st game
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?