Monday 17 September 1956
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Attack, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1956!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1956 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Brian Andreas: American writer, sculptor, painter and publisher.
- Thad Bosley: American major league baseball player.
- Mandawuy Yunupingu: Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist (Yothu Yindi) (d. 2013).
- Karen Fowler: American contestant on a TV game show called Big Brother, a show set in "real time.
- Rita Rudner: American comedian.
- Mildred E "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias: (1932 Olympics - Gold Medalist), dies at 42.
- Black students enter Clay Ky elementary school
- Television is first broadcast in Australia.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?