Saturday 17 September 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Apache by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Let's Make Love, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1960!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1960 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Kevin Clash: American actor and puppeteer.
- John Bottomley: Canadian singer-songwriter (d. 2011).
- John Franco: Brooklyn, New York -- Pitcher (NY Mets).
- Damon Hill: English race car driver and 1996 F1 world champion.
- Alan Krueger: American economist and academic.
- Frédéric Pierrot: French actor
- Hank Baran: San Diego, California -- Canadian Tour golfer (1988 Won Mexican)
- Terry Nihen: Concord, Massachusetts -- Playmate (December, 1983)
- Jose Sancho Marraco: Composer, dies at 81.
- Cuba nationalizes American-owned banks.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 September 1960 and get them!