Wednesday 17 September 2008
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mia Talerico .
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
Zack and Miri Make a Porno, directed by Kevin Smith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Body in Numbers.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing American McGee's Grimm or Catching Features.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 2008!
Which were the important events of 17 September 2008 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Mia Talerico: American child actress.
- The emerging 2008 baby milk scandal shows evidence of coverup by officials during the Olympics. (MSNBC)
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 440 points as the bailout of the American International Group by the Federal Reserve fails to reassure jittery investors. (''The New York Times'')
- Foreign Minister of Israel Tzipi Livni is selected as the new leader of the Kadima party, putting her in position to possibly become the first female Prime Minister of Israel since Golda Meir. (Reuters)
- Rwanda becomes the first nation where women outnumber men in parliament. (BBC News)
- 2008 Russian financial crisis:
- Russia's government lends the country's three biggest banks, Sberbank, VTB Bank and Gazprombank, as much as 1.13 trillion rubles ($44 billion) for at least three months to boost liquidity. (Bloomberg)
- Islamic Jihad claim responsibility for an attack on the U.S. embassy in Yemen that results in 16 confirmed deaths. (''The New York Times'')
- The BBC reports that British bank HBOS is in advanced talks with Lloyds TSB as HBOS share prices plummet as a result of exposure to the subprime mortgage crisis. (AP via ''International Herald Tribune'')
- India deploys Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jets capable of carrying nuclear warheads in Jammu and Kashmir amidst continuing ceasefire violations with Pakistan along the Line of Control. (''Times of India'')
- Papua New Guinea launches the National Television Service, a free-to-air state-run channel which competes with EM TV. (ABC News Australia)
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?