Friday 17 September 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.
The Social Network, directed by David Fincher, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Un país para comérselo.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bub le Ball or Dive: The Medes Islands Secret.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 2010!
Which were the important events of 17 September 2010 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 September
- A soldier with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) was killed in South Afghanistan. (Xinhua)
- Security is increased in Manokwari, West Papua, after protests against the killing of two people by Indonesian police. (''Jakarta Globe'')
- Israeli troops kill Hamas militant Iyad Abu Shilbaya in an arrest raid in the West Bank. (AP via Google News)
- An Iraqi Army soldier is killed and eleven people are wounded following two bombs going off in Baghdad. (Xinhua)
- Gunmen kidnapped nine police officers investigating a death in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero, and the bodies of two of the lawmen were found later. (Sina)
- India's ban on a Satyajit Ray documentary is lifted. (BBC)
- Hanif Kureishi is awarded the PEN/Pinter prize. (''The Guardian'')
- Producers on the South African version of the ''Big Brother'' TV series evict a male housemate who punched a female housemate, bowing to pressure from women's rights activists after initially accepting the physical confrontation. (BBC)
- American soap opera ''As the World Turns'' airs its final episode on CBS after a 54-year run on television. (AP via MSNBC)
- US entertainer Paris Hilton agrees to a plea bargain with prosecutors in Las Vegas, Nevada, to avoid a jail sentence. (AP via ABC News America)
- United Airlines shareholders meeting in Elk Grove, Illinois in Cook County, approve a deal to merge with Continental Airlines to create the world's biggest airline. (UPI)
- The United Nations launches an appeal for more than $2 billion in the wake of the 2010 Pakistan floods: this represents the organisation's biggest response to a natural disaster. (BBC)
- At least 27 people are killed in an accidental explosion in Batticaloa, eastern Sri Lanka. (Xinhua)
- The death toll from a tourist bus accident in Altay, northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, has risen to 11. (''Global Times'')
- A drill reaches 33 Chilean miners trapped underground in the 2010 Copiapó mining accident since 5 August their rescue is still expected to take several weeks. (BBC)
- A large storm hits New Zealand with severe weather warnings in place for both the North and South Island for several days. (AAP via Bigpond News)
- 2010 Atlantic hurricane season:
- Hurricane Karl reaches Category 3 strength prior to making landfall in Mexico just north of Veracruz. Two people are killed in a mudslide. (Reuters)
- Bermuda prepares for a potential impact from Hurricane Igor. (AFP via Google News)
- BP starts pumping cement into the Deepwater Horizon oil well in the Gulf of Mexico at the culmination of cleanup efforts for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. (AFP via Yahoo News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2010 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?