Saturday 17 September 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Someone Like You by Adele.
Killer Elite, directed by Gary McKendry, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 2011!
Which were the important events of 17 September 2011 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 September
- Occupy Wall Street protests begin in the United States. This develops into the Occupy movement which spreads to 82 countries by October.ref name=quotcnnquot
- 2011 Libyan civil war: forces loyal to deposed Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi launch a counter-attack against opposition fighters in the towns of Bani Walid and Sirte. (Al-Jazeera)
- At least three people are killed and 25 injured in a train crash near the Alawwa railway station, 60 kilometres north of Colombo in Sri Lanka. (AFP via News Limited)
- The US National Transportation Safety Board begins its investigation into Friday's Reno air crash, which killed at least three people and injured dozens. (BBC)
- A North American T-28 Trojan crashes at an air show at the Eastern WV Regional Airport near Martinsburg, West Virginia, killing the pilot. Aviation Safety Network
- A strong 6.6 magnitude earthquake and a series of aftershocks occur off the coast of Honshu in Japan. (AFP via ''Hindustan Times'')
- Former Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra visits Cambodia for high-level talks with the government of Cambodia over a variety of issues, including the ownership of the disputed Preah Vihear Temple. (Voice of America)
- Two people in Finland are held for investigation into alleged involvement in international terrorist activities. (CNN)
- Tanzanian authorities charge four people with negligence in relation to the Zanzibar ferry sinking that cost at least 240 lives on September 10. (AP via ''New York Times'')
- Voters in Latvia go to the polls for a parliamentary election. (NPR)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?