Thursday 18 August 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
The Help, directed by Tate Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 18 August 2011 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 August
- At least fourteen people die after a minibus hits a roadside bomb in Afganistan's Herat province. (Voice of America)
- Turkey launches an air strike on PKK positions in northern Iraq. (AP via Google News)
- Southern Israel attacks
- Eight people are killed and dozens are injured in southern Israel near the Egyptian border, after a string of terrorist attacks on a highway targeting two civilian buses and cars as well a military bus responding to the attacks. (''New York Times'')
- South Korean banks temporarily stop making household loans to stop the growth of household debt. (Yonhap)
- August 2011 stock markets fall
- The DAX, CAC 40, Nasdaq drop over 5%, the FTSE 100 index by 4.5%, the Dow Jones Industrial Average by 3.7%. (''New York Times'')
- Gold hits a high of US$1,826 an ounce. (BBC)
- More than 60,000 people are homeless after flooding in the southern Pakistani province of Sindh. (Pakistan)
- An Australian Broadcasting Corporation helicopter goes missing near Lake Eyre in outback South Australia with journalist Paul Lockyer, pilot Gary Ticehurst and cameraman John Bean feared dead. (AAP via ''Melbourne Herald Sun'')
- Five people die on the first day of the Belgian Pukkelpop festival when a hurricane hits the festival field. The rest of the festival is cancelled.
- A rabbi in the U.S. state of New Jersey has been indicted for alleged sex crimes against two 13-year-old Israeli boys who were visiting the rabbi through a scholarship fund. The two boys had reported the abuse separately following their return. (Jerusalem Post)
- The BBC airs a special edition of its ''Crimewatch'' programme aimed at identifying people involved in the 2011 England riots. (''The Guardian'')
- Roch Wamytan is elected President of the Congress of New Caledonia by the Congress of New Caledonia with 32 votes. (RNZI)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?