Saturday 18 August 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Sparkle, directed by Salim Akil, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 18 August 2012 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 August
- Syrian civil war:
- Syrian opposition forces claim to have advanced close to the Aleppo International Airport in the course of the ongoing Battle of Aleppo. The Syrian state media claim the attacks were repulsed. Heavy fighting is ongoing in Aleppo and Damascus. (''Al Arabiya'')
- According to the Free Syrian Army, the defected Vice President Farouk al-Sharaa arrives in Jordan. The government denies the claim. (Reuters)
- United Nations observers start leaving Syria. (AP)
- War on Terror:
- Al-Qaeda militants attack an intelligence headquarters in the southern Yemeni city of Aden, killing at least 14 people. (BBC)
- Airstrikes carried out by NATO kill at least 13 Taliban militants in the eastern Afghan province of Kunar. (BBC)
- Five security personnel are killed by a suicide bombing at a checkpoint in Quetta, Pakistan. (''The Times of India'')
- A drone attack conducted by the United States kills five people in North Waziristan, Pakistan. The Pakistani Foreign Ministry issues an official (Al Jazeera)
- An explosion kills at least four people and wounds 12 others in western Afghanistan. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- Four Egyptian Army soldiers are injured in a raid on militants in the Sinai Peninsula. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- Bahraini security forces kill a 16-year-old boy during rioting in the city of Muharraq. (BBC)
- Philippine Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo and two pilots are killed after a plane crash in the sea off central Masbate. (BBC)
- Tropical Storm Helene approaches Mexico. (CNN)
- The Reserve Bank of India acknowledges poor data for the current monsoon season. (''Indian Express'')
- Egypt's state news agency says President Mohammed Morsi is to attend the upcoming Non-Aligned Movement meeting in Iran at the end of August. (Al Jazeera)
- A U.S. District Court judge declines Facebook's $20 million offer to settle a lawsuit revolving around privacy, expressing among other concerns that up to half of that money would be paid to attorneys, and none to the victims. (Bloomberg)
- The Treasury Committee of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom releases the first volume of a planned two-volume report on the LIBOR fixing scandal. (Commons Committees)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?