Wednesday 18 December 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to You Send Me by Sam Cooke.
In UK Mary's Boy Child by Harry Belafonte was in the top 5 hits.
The Enemy Below, directed by Dick Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 December 1957!
Which were the important events of 18 December 1957 ?
- Roman festivals - Feast of Epona (during Saturnalia)
- R.C. Saints - Gatianus of Tours
- Also see December 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Niger - Republic Day (autonomous in 1958)
- Greek Orthodox Church ? Feast of Sebastian the Martyr
- Joseph Romano: American homicide, convicted of butchering his wife, Katherine, and disposing of her remains in spite of the fact that no corpse was ever found.
- Jonathan Cainer: British astrologer and syndicated columnist for publications in the UK, U.S.
- John Webster: rocker (Red Ryder - "Light in the Tunnel").
- Shippingport Atomic Power Stn, 1st nuke plant to generate electricity
- ''The Bridge on the River Kwai'' is released in the U.S. It goes on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Additional Oscars go to Alec Guinness (Best Actor) and David Lean (Best Director), among others. This is Lean's first Oscar for directing.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 18 December 1957 and get them!