Monday 18 December 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Thomas Strittmatter and Angie Stone.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
The Innocents, directed by Jack Clayton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Poly.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 18 December 1961 ?
- Roman festivals - Feast of Epona (during Saturnalia)
- R.C. Saints - Gatianus of Tours
- Also see December 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Niger - Republic Day (autonomous in 1958)
- Greek Orthodox Church ? Feast of Sebastian the Martyr
- Thomas Strittmatter: writer.
- Angie Stone: Soul Singer.
- Brian Orser: Canada -- Figure skater (1988 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Leila Steinberg: American singer producer author and poet.
- Daniel Loeb: American businessman and philanthropist founded Third Point Management.
- For 2nd cons year, AP names Wilma Rudolph female athlete of year
- KAIL TV channel 53 in Fresno, CA (IND) begins broadcasting
- Wilt Chamberlain of NBA Philadelphia Warriors scores 78 points versus Los Angeles Lakers.
- India annexes Portuguese colonies of Goa, Damao, and Diu.
- Indonesian president Sukarno announces that he will take West Irian by force if necessary.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?