Tuesday 18 January 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Awakened by Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Wild Within.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Crimson: Steam Pirates or Marvel Super Hero Squad Online.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 18 January 2011 ?
- Winnie The Pooh Day (In observance of the birthday of Alan Alexander Milne, 1882.)
- Christian ecumenism - Week of Prayer for Christian Unity begins
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 January
- Sargent Shriver: American lieutenant lawyer and politician 21st United States Ambassador to France (d. 2011).
- A US drone attack kills five militants in a compound in northwest Pakistan. (AP)
- Three Sudanese army officers are killed in a clash between rebel forces and the army in western Darfur. (Bloomberg)
- Israeli tanks enter the northern Gaza Strip some fighting occurs killing one Palestinian and injuring two others in response to Palestinian militants who had detonated an explosive device targeting an army patrol along the border ''The Jerusalem Post'')
- The Republic of China (Taiwan) conducts live-fire missile tests. (BBC)
- Nigerian soldiers are granted permission to shoot to kill ampquotto protect civiliansampquot in Jos. (BBC)
- A 25-year-old unemployed male dies after setting himself on fire in Alexandria. Another man, aged 40, sets himself on fire in Cairo in protests against rising prices. (BBC)
- The U.S. Federal Communications Commission and the U.S. Justice Department approves a $28 billion merger of Comcast and NBC Universal with critics complaining of even greater media consolidation in the U.S. and how this merger removes competitive forces and hurts consumers. (Common Dreams)
- European Union finance ministers agree to more stringent methodology to ampquotstress testampquot the same 91 European banks tested in 2010. This is due to happen in May. (Al Jazeera)
- TV channel Headlines Today alleges that some ampquotIndian-sounding namesampquot feature in Swiss Bank secret accounts data retrieved from a former Swiss banker by Julian Assange, spokesperson for the WikiLeaks website. (''The Times of India'')
- Farmers begin a seven-day strike in Argentina. (BBC)
- Delta Air Lines says that it expects sharp fuel cost increases in 2011, perhaps to $2.60 a gallon from $2.47 last year. (MarketWatch)
- Apple records record profits of $6 billion as consumers consumed more of its products than was thought. (BBC)
- Brazil's military increases rescue and supply operations following the worst disaster in the country's history. (BBC)
- South Africa declares eight of its nine provinces disaster areas following the deaths of 41 people during floods. (BBC)
- Hundreds of flood victims in Sri Lanka protest over the alleged unfair distribution of emergency aid. (AFP via Google News)
- The Puntland autonomous region of Somalia says it is ampquotbreaking awayampquot from the federation until a legitimate government is put in place. (Al Jazeera)
- Chinese President Hu Jintao begins a four day state visit to the United States. (Al Jazeera)
- The British government suggests the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), a private company run by police chiefs, ought to have its power to run undercover spies removed after recent relevations about Mark Kennedy, policeman and undercover spy on international activists, as it acknowledges for the first time that ampquotsomething had gone very wrongampquot. (''The Guardian'')
- Arrest of Jean-Claude ampquotBaby Docampquot Duvalier:
- Haitian authorities arrest former president Jean-Claude Duvalier. (BBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 18 January 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
- Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?