Thursday 18 May 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Peter Ryan and W G Sebald.
Mr. Skeffington, directed by Vincent Sherman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 May 1944!
Which were the important events of 18 May 1944 ?
- Peter Ryan: British national director (Police Training).
- W G Sebald: German-born writer (d. 2001).
- Marcel Bozonnet: French actor and theatre director.
- Justus Frantz: German pianist, conductor and television personality.
- Albert Hammond: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (The Family Dogg).
- W Sebald: German author and academic (d. 2001)
- Expulsion of more than 200,000 Tartars from Crimea by Soviet Union begins; they are accused of collaborating with the Germans.
- Deportation of Crimean Tatars by the Soviet Union government.
- World War II: Battle of Monte Cassino : Conclusion after seven days of the fourth battle as German paratroopers (''Fallschirmjager'') evacuate Monte Cassino.
- The Crimean Tatars are deported by the Soviet Union.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Bing Crosby - Swinging On A Star
- Long Ago (And Far Away) - Jo Stafford
- Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet - Ella Mae Morse
- I'll Walk Alone - Louis Prima
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?