Thursday 18 May 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Mr. Skeffington, directed by Vincent Sherman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 May 1944!
Which were the important events of 18 May 1944 ?
- Peter Ryan: British national director (Police Training).
- Justus Frantz: German pianist, conductor and television personality.
- Marcel Bozonnet: French actor and theatre director.
- W G Sebald: German-born writer (d. 2001).
- Albert Hammond: English singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (The Family Dogg).
- W Sebald: German author and academic (d. 2001)
- Expulsion of more than 200,000 Tartars from Crimea by Soviet Union begins; they are accused of collaborating with the Germans.
- Deportation of Crimean Tatars by the Soviet Union government.
- World War II: Battle of Monte Cassino : Conclusion after seven days of the fourth battle as German paratroopers (''Fallschirmjager'') evacuate Monte Cassino.
- The Crimean Tatars are deported by the Soviet Union.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Bing Crosby - Swinging On A Star
- Long Ago (And Far Away) - Jo Stafford
- Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet - Ella Mae Morse
- I'll Walk Alone - Louis Prima
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?