Friday 18 September 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Montana Newsom .
In that special week of September people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Pandorum, directed by Christian Alvart, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching MyDestination.TV.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Arc Rise Fantasia or ColorZ.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 September 2009!
Which were the important events of 18 September 2009 ?
- Also see September 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Chile - Independence Day (first junta 1810)
- RC Saints - Feast day of St Joseph of Cupertino and Methodius of Olympus
- In ancient Greece, the fifth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries.
- Montana Newsom: American child of noted parent, her father is the mayor of San Francisco.
- The 72 year run of the soap opera The Guiding Light ends as its final episode is broadcast.
- Two people are killed and eight are hurt when a man confronted by police for scrawling graffiti at a Mexico City Metro station opens fire on passers-by. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- A mine blast in Ruda Śląska, Poland, kills at least 13 miners and hospitalises at least 30 more. The country's worst mining disaster since 2006, two days of national mourning are declared the following day. (''The Irish Times'')
- Hong Kong sentences former Morgan Stanley managing director Du Jun to seven years in prison for his insider trading conviction in its most high-profile case. (BBC)
- International Quds Day:
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad calls The Holocaust a ampquotmythampquot and says that ampquotthe very existence of this regime is an insult to the dignity of the peopleampquot in referring to Israel at a Quds Day rally in Tehran. (''The Guardian'')
- Pro and anti-government protestors clash in Tehran during the annual International Quds Day rally. (Press TV)
- Germany's Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier condemns Ahmadinejad's remarks, calling him a disgrace to his country. (Reuters)
- 30,000 Ivory Coast residents seriously affected by the dumping of toxic waste by Trafigura, which, according to the United Nations, has killed at least 15 people, say an undisclosed compensation deal offered by a London-based oil firm is not enough. (BBC)
- Solidarity co-founder and former President of Poland Lech Wałęsa (in favour) and United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage (against) arrive in Ireland to campaign over the country's second referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon. (''The Times'')
- Burma begins releasing 7,114 prisoners in an amnesty announced by the government. (AFP)
- A Burmese court announces it is to reveal its verdict on an appeal by Aung San Suu Kyi in October. (BBC)
- The first ever Global Irish Economic Forum, modelled on Switzerland's World Economic Forum, begins in Farmleigh in Dublin's Phoenix Park. (Reuters)
- The Brazilian government announces a plan to ban sugarcane farming in the Amazon Rainforest and indigenous areas. (BBC)
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il tells a visiting envoy of Chinese President Hu Jintao he is willing to engage in talks on his country's nuclear programme. (Yonhap)
- Uruguayan President Tabaré Vázquez calls for an integrated Mercosur with a greater number of countries to make it more competitive overseas, but also demands greater balance inside the group among members. (MercoPress)
- Sri Lanka announces it will rehouse displaced Tamil refugees within the next four months. (Associated Press)
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirms that serving PSNI officers provided training to the Libyan police force in the past twelve months. (RTÉ)
- Two people are killed and a further 12 injured in a stabbing attack in Beijing. (''China Post'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?