Saturday 19 April 1947
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Frits Castricum and Wilf Stevenson.
Odd Man Out, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Juvenile Jury.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 19 April 1947 ?
- Republic Day (Sierra Leone).
- Declaration of Independence Day (Venezuela).
- Easter Sunday 1908, 1981, 1987, 1992. In the Gregorian Calendar Easter Sunday falls on 19 April more often than on any other date.
- Bicycle Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia ends. (Roman Empire)
- Primrose Day (England) ? primroses are placed on the statue of Benjamin Disraeli in Parliament Square, London on the anniversary of his death (1881).
- George of Antioch
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Emma
- Landing of the 33 (Uruguay).
- Patriot's Day (Massachusetts, Maine, and Wisconsin, USA).
- Frits Castricum: journalist/Dutch Member of Parliament (PvdA).
- Wilf Stevenson: director (British Film Institute).
- Murray Perahia in New York City: New York, USA; pianist (Avery Fischer Prize-1975, Grammy 1988).
- Antoine Gallimard: French publisher, the director of the Gallimard publishing house.
- Mark Volman: American musician, singer and songwriter, one of the two leaders of the "Turtles," a big group in the '60s that had about eight big hits.
- Francis De Nadai:
- Harry Lewis: Teacher
- Murray Perahia: American pianist and conductor
- Wilfrid Stevenson: Baron Stevenson of Balmacara English civil servant
- Yan Tortelier: French violinist and conductor
- Suh Yun Buck wins world record marathon (2:25:39)
- French ship explodes in Texas City harbor, kills about 522.
- 51st Boston Marathon won by Yun Bok Soh of Korea in 2:25:39.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Free Eats - Count Basie & His Orchestra
- Linda - Paul Weston & His Orchestra
- My Melancholy Baby - Sam Donahue & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?