It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
directed by Mark Robson
starring: Kirk Douglas, Arthur Kennedy, Marilyn Maxwell
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
directed by Tay Garnett
starring: Bing Crosby, Rhonda Fleming, Cedric Hardwicke
- The Set-Up
directed by Robert Wise
starring: Robert Ryan, Audrey Totter, George Tobias
- The Red Pony
directed by Lewis Milestone
starring: Myrna Loy, Robert Mitchum, Louis Calhern
directed by Arthur Lubin
starring: Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Charles Coburn
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Tuesday, 19 April 1949 ?
- Republic Day (Sierra Leone).
- Declaration of Independence Day (Venezuela).
- Easter Sunday 1908, 1981, 1987, 1992. In the Gregorian Calendar Easter Sunday falls on 19 April more often than on any other date.
- Bicycle Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia ends. (Roman Empire)
- Primrose Day (England) ? primroses are placed on the statue of Benjamin Disraeli in Parliament Square, London on the anniversary of his death (1881).
- George of Antioch
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Emma
- Landing of the 33 (Uruguay).
- Patriot's Day (Massachusetts, Maine, and Wisconsin, USA).
Famous People born
- Yankees dedicate a plaque for Babe Ruth
- 53rd Boston Marathon won by Gosta Leandersson of Sweden in 2:31:50.8.
: Teacher academic / administrator
: American ''lawn chair'' pilot (d. 1993)
: daughter of artist Pablo Picasso
Famous People died
: Swedish figure skater (Born 1877)
What news were making the headlines those days in April 1949 ?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
The Big Fisherman
by Lloyd C. Douglas
A perennial favourite with wide appeal from Lloyd C. Douglas. The basis for a movie of the same title directed by Frank Borzage.
by Sholem Asch
Rooted in scholarship, in thorough absorption in place and period, this story of the Mother of Jesus succeeds in keeping Mary (or Miriam as she is called in the Hebrew tradition) at the core, the heart of the whole.
A Rage to Live
by John O'Hara
A huge bestseller when it first appeared in 1949, A Rage to Live is a large-scale social chronicle of America set against the backdrop of Fort Penn, Pennsylvania, a city with a dynamic history, both public and personal.
Penaljo Play Arch Casual Shoes St. Louis (1949)
Ansco Camera Film Collie Dog Young Boy (1949)
Wembley Nor East Fashion Ties For Father (1949)
Tell the world why Tuesday, 19 April 1949 is such a special date for you!