It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
directed by Mark Robson
starring: Kirk Douglas, Arthur Kennedy, Marilyn Maxwell
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
directed by Tay Garnett
starring: Bing Crosby, Rhonda Fleming, Cedric Hardwicke
- The Set-Up
directed by Robert Wise
starring: Robert Ryan, Audrey Totter, George Tobias
- The Red Pony
directed by Lewis Milestone
starring: Myrna Loy, Robert Mitchum, Louis Calhern
directed by Arthur Lubin
starring: Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Charles Coburn
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Tuesday, 19 April 1949 ?
- Republic Day (Sierra Leone).
- Declaration of Independence Day (Venezuela).
- Easter Sunday 1908, 1981, 1987, 1992. In the Gregorian Calendar Easter Sunday falls on 19 April more often than on any other date.
- Bicycle Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia ends. (Roman Empire)
- Primrose Day (England) ? primroses are placed on the statue of Benjamin Disraeli in Parliament Square, London on the anniversary of his death (1881).
- George of Antioch
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Emma
- Landing of the 33 (Uruguay).
- Patriot's Day (Massachusetts, Maine, and Wisconsin, USA).
Famous People born
- Yankees dedicate a plaque for Babe Ruth
- 53rd Boston Marathon won by Gosta Leandersson of Sweden in 2:31:50.8.
: Teacher academic / administrator
: American ''lawn chair'' pilot (d. 1993)
: daughter of artist Pablo Picasso
Famous People died
: Swedish figure skater (Born 1877)
What news were making the headlines those days in April 1949 ?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
by Mika Waltari
First published in the United States in 1949 and widely condemned as obscene, The Egyptian outsold every other novel published that year, and remains a classic; readers worldwide have testified to its life-changing power.
The Big Fisherman
by Lloyd C. Douglas
A perennial favourite with wide appeal from Lloyd C. Douglas. The basis for a movie of the same title directed by Frank Borzage.
by Sholem Asch
G. Putnam Pub. First Edition, First Printing, name first page no oher marks found.
A Rage to Live
by John O'Hara
A huge bestseller when it first appeared in 1949, A Rage to Live is a large-scale social chronicle of America set against the backdrop of Fort Penn, Pennsylvania, a city with a dynamic history, both public and personal.
Woodburys Facial Soap Im Singing the Blues in more ways than one (1949)
Philco Corporations Philco 1613 Radio-Phonograph Only a Philco Radio-Phonograph Gives You This Glorious Concert Hall Realism (1949)
Jean Gibbons Photo Reviews Booking Vintage (1949)
Tell the world why Tuesday, 19 April 1949 is such a special date for you!