Sunday 19 April 1964
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Scott Kamienicki and Giovanni Agnelli.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Can't Buy Me Love by The Beatles.
The Life of Oharu, directed by Kenji Mizoguchi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Rocambole.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 April 1964!
Which were the important events of 19 April 1964 ?
- Republic Day (Sierra Leone).
- Declaration of Independence Day (Venezuela).
- Easter Sunday 1908, 1981, 1987, 1992. In the Gregorian Calendar Easter Sunday falls on 19 April more often than on any other date.
- Bicycle Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia ends. (Roman Empire)
- Primrose Day (England) ? primroses are placed on the statue of Benjamin Disraeli in Parliament Square, London on the anniversary of his death (1881).
- George of Antioch
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Emma
- Landing of the 33 (Uruguay).
- Patriot's Day (Massachusetts, Maine, and Wisconsin, USA).
- Scott Kamienicki: pitcher (New York Yankees).
- Giovanni Agnelli: Italian noted family, the son of Umberto and great grandson of Giovanni, the founder of Fiat.
- Scott Kamieniecki: American pro baseball pitcher, selected by the Detroit Tigers in second round of free-agent draft pick 6/07/1982.
- Harris Barton: NFL tackle (San Francisco 49ers).
- Gordon Marshall: Scottish footballer and coach.
- Kim Weaver: American astrophysicist astronomer and academic
- Rightist coup in Laos, Suvanna Phuma remains premier.
- Mickey Wright wins LPGA Peach Blossom Golf Invitational.
- In Laos, the coalition government of Prince Souvanna Phouma is deposed by a right-wing military group, led by Brig. Gen. Kouprasith Abhay. Not supported by the U.S., the coup is ultimately unsuccessful, and Souvanna Phouma is reinstated, remaining Prime Minister until 1975.
- U.S. President Lyndon Johnson in New York, and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev in Moscow, simultaneously announce plans to cut back production of materials for making nuclear weapons.
- Nelson Mandela makes his ampquotI Am Prepared to Dieampquot speech at the opening of the Rivonia Trial, a classic of the anti-apartheid movement.
- BBC2 starts broadcasting in the UK.
- British businessman Greville Wynne, imprisoned in Moscow since 1963 for spying, is exchanged for Soviet spy Gordon Lonsdale.
- The 1964 New York World's Fair opens to celebrate the 300th anniversary of New Amsterdam being taken over by British forces under the Duke of York (later King James II) and being renamed New York in 1664. The fair runs until October 18, 1964 and reopens April 21, 1965, finally closing October 17, 1965. (Not sanctioned, due to being within 10 years of the Seattle World's Fair in 1962, some countries decline, but many countries have pavilions with exotic crafts, art food.)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 19 April 1964
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love
- The Beatles - Twist And Shout
- Terry Stafford - Suspicion
- Louis Armstrong - Hello, Dolly!
- The Beatles - Do You Want To Know A Secret
- Betty Everett - The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)
- The Dave Clark Five - Glad All Over
- The Beatles - She Loves You
- The Serendipity Singers - Don't Let The Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)
- Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?