Saturday 19 August 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1944 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Stew Johnson: American professional basketball player, known for his sweet shooting stroke.
- Dominique Desseigne: French businessman, chairmain of the casin Lucien Barrière.
- Samuel J de Beer: South African vicar / underminister of Education.
- Jack Canfield: American author and speaker.
- Buzz Kilman: Chicago radio personality.
- Bodil Malmsten: Swedish author and poet
- Eddy Raven: Lafayette, Louisiana -- Country singer (Right Hand Man)
- Jean-Francois Bizot: French journalist and writer, and the founder and owner of the Paris-based radio station, Radio Nova, which first broadcast in 1981. He was also the creator of the Actuel publication.
- Charles Wang: Chinese-American executive and CEO of Computer Associates International, one of the nation's largest software-only company. Wang is a college graduate from Queens Univ. with a BS degree in Mathematics. For time away from the office, he enjoys groiwng orchids and playing racquetball.
- Frédéric Vitoux: French writer and journalist. He is known as a novelist, biographer and literary columnist. He was elected at the Académie française in 2001. In 2010, he won the Edouard Drumont literary prize for his novel "Grand Hotel Nelson."
- Allied air raid on Maastricht, 80+ killed
- Gen Bradley visits Montgomery
- Last Japanese troops driven out of India
- Paris police strike against Nazi occupiers
- Polish 1st Division occupies Hill 262 (Mont Ormel), Normandy
- US 15th Army corp occupies Mantes-Gassicourt at Paris
- US 90th / Polish 1st Division occupy Chambois Normandy
- World War II: Liberation of Paris : Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 19 August 1944 and get them!