Saturday 19 August 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Samuel J de Beer and Jean-Francois Bizot.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1944 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Samuel J de Beer: South African vicar / underminister of Education.
- Jean-Francois Bizot: French journalist and writer, and the founder and owner of the Paris-based radio station, Radio Nova, which first broadcast in 1981.
- Dominique Desseigne: French businessman, chairmain of the casin Lucien Barrière.
- Stew Johnson: American professional basketball player, known for his sweet shooting stroke.
- Frédéric Vitoux: French writer and journalist.
- Charles Wang: Chinese-American executive and CEO of Computer Associates International, one of the nation's largest software-only company. Wang is a college graduate from Queens Univ. with a BS degree in Mathematics. For time away from the office, he enjoys groiwng orchids and playing racquetball.
- Jack Canfield: American author and speaker
- Buzz Kilman: Chicago radio personality
- Bodil Malmsten: Swedish author and poet
- Eddy Raven: Lafayette, Louisiana -- Country singer (Right Hand Man)
- Allied air raid on Maastricht, 80+ killed
- Gen Bradley visits Montgomery
- Last Japanese troops driven out of India
- Paris police strike against Nazi occupiers
- Polish 1st Division occupies Hill 262 (Mont Ormel), Normandy
- US 15th Army corp occupies Mantes-Gassicourt at Paris
- US 90th / Polish 1st Division occupy Chambois Normandy
- World War II: Liberation of Paris : Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?