Monday 19 August 1957
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Darby Hinton in Santa Monica and Paul-Jan Bakker.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
A Man Escaped, directed by Robert Bresson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Letter From Peking by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1957!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1957 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Darby Hinton in Santa Monica: California, USA; actor (Israel - Daniel Boone).
- Paul-Jan Bakker: Netherland cricketer.
- Martin Donovan: American actor and director.
- Ian Gould: English cricketer and umpire.
- Li-Young Lee: Indonesian-American poet and author.
- Christine Soetewey: Belgian high jumper
- Gerda Verburg: Dutch union leader and politician Dutch Minister of Agriculture
- US Major David Simons reaches 30,933m in a balloon
- New York Giants vote to move their franchise to San Francisco in 1958.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 19 August 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
- Don Rondo - White Silver Sands
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?