Wednesday 19 August 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Steve Grimmett and Nacer Meddah.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1959 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Steve Grimmett: heavy metal rocker.
- Nacer Meddah: French civil servant, who has served as the prefect of Seine-Saint-Denis, Aube, Doubs, and Moselle.
- Timothy Stout: American victim of terrorism, Stout died in the World Trade Center attack on September 11, 2001.
- Derya Alabora: Turkish actress.
- Susan Cummings: Monegasque-born American heiress and convicted murderer.
- Ricky Pierce: NBA guard / forward (Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks)
- Doctor X beats Wilber Snyder in Omaha, to become NWA wrestling champ
- Honolulu seeks a franchise in Continental League
- Satellite Discoverer 6 launched into polar orbit
- The Central Treaty Organization (CENTO) is established.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ricky Nelson - Just A Little Too Much
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?