Tuesday 19 August 1980
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Amber Swartz-Garcia and Houcine Camara.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Magic by Olivia Newton-John.
In UK The Winner Takes It All by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Smokey and the Bandit II, directed by Hal Needham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Rage Of Angels by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cheeky Mouse or Tank Battalion.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1980!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1980 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Amber Swartz-Garcia: American missing child last seen jumping rope outside her Pinole, CA home at 3:00 PM on 6/03/1988.
- Houcine Camara: French singer.
- Darius Campbell: Scottish singer-songwriter guitarist and actor.
- Jun Jin: South Korean singer and actor (Shinhwa).
- Russell Kane: English comedian and actor.
- George Brett ends hitting streak at 30
- Saudi Arabian Lockheed Tristar crashes on landing at Riyadh, 301 die.
- Saudia Flight 163, a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar burns after making an emergency landing at King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, killing 301 people.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 19 August 1980
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Olivia Newton-John - Magic
- Christopher Cross - Sailing
- The S.O.S. Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) Part 1
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
- Irene Cara - Fame
- Air Supply - All Out Of Love
- Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open The Door
- Kim Carnes - More Love
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?