Tuesday 19 August 2008
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Death Race, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 19 August 2008 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- The 39th annual Pacific Islands Leaders Forum opens in Niue, but is boycotted by Fijian leader Frank Bainimarama. (''The Australian'')
- Egypt's upper house of Parliament is destroyed in a huge fire. (Reuters)
- North Korea declares Sweden its enemy and a United States war puppet. (''The Local'')
- A bomb at a paramilitary police training academy in the town of Issers 60 km east of Algiers kills at least 43 people and injures another 38. (BBC News)
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- Russian and Georgian forces exchange prisoners of war. (Reuters)
- Russia begins to withdraw troops from Georgia proper according to eyewitness accounts. (Reuters)
- A United Nations aid convoy which entered Gori on Sunday reports evidence of large-scale looting. ampquotWhile the buildings did not appear to be very damaged, there are clear signs of massive looting of both shops and private accommodations,ampquot the office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees says. (''The Vancouver Sun'')
- NATO cools relations with Russia. (Delfi) NATO says Russia is not honoring cease-fire terms.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 19 August 2008 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?