Friday 19 August 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
The Cremator, directed by Juraj Herz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 19 August 2011 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 19 August
- A Taliban attack on a British Council centre in Kabul, Afghanistan, results in the death of at least eight people. (AFP via ''The Strait Times'')
- Rocket attacks in southern Israel kill eight people. (Ha'aretz)
- The Pukkelpop music festival in Belgium is cancelled following the death of at least five people in a storm. (The Inquisitr)
- Hewlett-Packard shares drop 20% on news that the company plans to split off its personal computer division as a separate company. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- August 2011 stock markets fall
- The Tokyo Stock Exchange's Nikkei Stock Average falls by 1.9% in early trading as the trend of stock market falls continues. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- The All Ordinaries Index on the Australian Stock Exchange falls by 4.4% with Asian markets generally down. (AAP via ''The Australian'')
- U.S. retailing giant J.C. Penney agrees with its largest shareholder, William Ackman, that Ackman will cap his shareholdings at 16.5 percent, while increasing his exposure through a ampquotsynthetic long position.ampquot (Dow Jones Newswire)
- A 6.8 magnitude earthquake occurs off the coast of Japan with a tsunami warning issued and then retracted. (AP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- A Chinese scientist is reported missing on Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region's Muztagh Ata glacier after conducting research on the Tibetan Plateau. (''The People's Daily'')
- Three people die in the city of Pittsburgh in the US state of Pennsylvania as a result of flash flooding. (AP via Google)
- The announcement of possible wreck relocation of Swedish 16th century warship Mars in the Baltic Sea. (AFP via ''Dawn.com'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?