Tuesday 19 December 1972
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Waverly Jackson and Alyssa Jane Milano in Brooklyn.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Me And Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul.
In UK My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry was in the top 5 hits.
Cries & Whispers, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Arthur of the Britons.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Hunt the Wumpus.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 December 1972!
Which were the important events of 19 December 1972 ?
- 2003 - the events of the fictional docu-drama The Day Britain Stopped take place.
- Roman festivals - Opalia
- Also see December 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Waverly Jackson: NFL defensive line (Carolina Panthers).
- Alyssa Jane Milano in Brooklyn: New York, USA; actress (Samantha - Who's The Boss?, Jennifer - Melrose Place, Phoebe - Charmed).
- Alyssa Milano: American actress, first noticed at age 11 in the hit TV show "Who's the Boss?" with Tony Danza.
- Warren Sapp: Former American college and professional football player who was defensive tackle in the National Football League (NFL) for thirteen seasons.
- Rosa Blasi: American actress.
- Apollo 17 (last of Apollo Moon landing series) returns to Earth
- Apollo program: The last manned lunar flight, Apollo 17, crewed by Eugene Cernan, Ron Evans and Harrison Schmitt, returns to Earth.
- East Germany and West Germany recognize each other.
- ZANLA troopers attack Altera Farm in north-east Rhodesia.
- Two small earthquakes are felt at about 9:30 and 10:15 local time in Managua, Nicaragua.
- Australia establishes diplomatic relations with China and West Germany.
- A peace delegation that includes singer-activist Joan Baez and human rights attorney Telford Taylor visit Hanoi to deliver Christmas mail to American prisoners of war (they will be caught in the Christmas bombing of North Vietnam).
- A 6.25 Richter scale earthquake in Nicaragua kills 5,000–12,000 people in the capital, Managua President Somoza is later accused of pocketing millions of dollars worth of foreign aid intended for relief.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers win their first ever post-season NFL game, defeating the Oakland Raiders 13–7, on a last second play that becomes known as The Immaculate Reception.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Billy Paul - Me And Mrs. Jones
- Helen Reddy - I Am Woman
- Al Green - You Ought To Be With Me
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Clair
- Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California
- Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
- Donna Fargo - Funny Face
- The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
- Carly Simon - You're So Vain
- Johnny Rivers - Rockin' Pneumonia - Boogie Woogie Flu
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?