Wednesday 19 January 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Awakened by Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 19 January 2011 ?
- Confederate Heroes Day in Texas.
- Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy ? Julian Calendar Theophany (Epiphany).
- St. Mark of Ephesus feast day .
- Bah�'f Faith ? Feast of Sult�n (Sovereignty) ? First day of the 17th month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- National Popcorn Day in United States of America, however some claim this is whatever day the Superbowl lands on.
- The unofficial National Popcorn Day
- Hillary Hess: American noted child, her mother is Samantha Harris, television personality who is a correspondent for "Entertainment Tonight" and co-host of popular show, "Dancing with the Stars.
- Ernest McCulloch: stem cell research pioneer (Born 1926).
- An army commander in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is accused of leading a recent mass rape in Fizi of at least 50 women. (BBC)
- A suicide bomber driving an ambulance kills at least 12 people and injures another 50 in Iraq's Diyala Governorate. (Reuters)
- A suicide bomber kills at least 13 civilians in Afghanistan's Paktika Province. (Reuters via Alertnet)
- China and the United States sign a $45 billion export deal, including 200 Boeing airplanes. (Al Jazeera)
- A 7.2 magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan with an epicentre 50 kilometres west of the town of Dalbandin. (''The Telegraph'')
- The death toll from the Brazilian floods and mudslides reaches at least 765. (CNN)
- American Samoa bans smoking in all public and private enclosed spaces. (RNZI)
- President Hu Jintao of China is welcomed at an official ceremony at the White House by U.S. President Barack Obama. (CNN)
- Palestine calls for the ampquotimmediate, full lifting of the Israeli blockadeampquot and ampquotthe sustained opening of Gaza's border crossings for the movement of persons and goods.ampquot during a debate at the UN Security Council. (Xinhua)
- Rudolf Elmer:
- Former Swiss bank employee Rudolf Elmer, who passed details of rich tax evaders to the WikiLeaks website, is found guilty of breaching Switzerland's strict bank secrecy laws. (BBC)
- Jean-Claude Duvalier:
- Duvalier is sued for torture and other crimes against humanity by former United Nations spokeswoman Michèle Montas and three Haitians jailed during Duvalier's rule. (BBC)
- Prime Minister of Italy Silvio Berlusconi gives a ten-minute television address vowing to punish those investigating him in relation to claims he purchased an under-age prostitute. (BBC)
- The British Home Office says that American pastor Terry Jones is excluded from the UK for the public good. (BBC)
- Prosecutors in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania charge a Philadelphia illegal abortionist with eight counts of murder for killing a patient and seven live born babies. (AP via Google)
- A United States Federal grand jury indicts Jared Lee Loughner for attempted murder of Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and two of her aides with further charges pending. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Nguyễn Phú Trọng is elected as General Secretary of Communist Party of Vietnam to succeed Nông Đức Mạnh. (Communist Party official)
- The opening of the Afghan parliament is delayed by a month amid allegations of fraud in the parliamentary election. (AFP via ABC Online)
- Tunisia frees all of its remaining political prisoners. (Reuters)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
- Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?