Wednesday 19 March 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Farmer's Daughter, directed by H.C. Potter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 March 1947!
Which were the important events of 19 March 1947 ?
- Saint Adeltrudis (d.670)
- Saint Landoald
- Las Fallas in Valencia, Spain.
- Roman Catholicism and Church of England - Saint Joseph's Day for Saint Joseph of Nazareth, spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, stepfather of Jesus; patron saint of Belgium, a good death, carpenters hence also (alternative) Father's Day in Spain, Portugal, Belgium
- Mojoday in Discordianism
- The swallows return to Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.
- The first day of Quinquatria in ancient Rome, held in honor of Minerva.
- Glenn Close in Greenwich: Connecticut, USA; actress (The Big Chill, Fatal Attraction).
- Vince Martino in Schenectady: New York, USA; WLAF offensive assistant (Barcelona Dragons).
- Earlie Fires: jockey (Hialeah Park).
- Xavier Thibault: French singer, composer and songwriter, son of actor Jean-Marc Thibault, he created the group "le Grand Orchestre du Splendid" in 1977.
- Marinho Peres: Brazilian footballer and coach.
- Glenn Close: American actress, the daughter of a surgeon and a 12th generation New Englander raised on the family 500-acre estate. Glenn was the second of four kids. Though her ancestors had helped found the town in the late 17th century, the immediate family shunned the country clubs and yacht crowd and raised the kids without benefit of nannies. A wild tomboy child, Glenn roamed freely both physically and mentally, and decided by the time she was seven that she would be an actress.
- John Beckwith: English real estate developer / multi-millionaire
- Willem F J Pijper: Dutch composer/critic, dies at age 52.
- Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek conquers Jenan.
- The 19th Academy Awards ceremony is held. The movie ''Best Years of Our Lives'' wins the Academy Award for Best Picture, along with several other Academy Awards.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- How Are Things in Glocca Mora? - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 19 March 1947 and get them!