Saturday 19 September 1936
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Alfred A Oerter Jr and Adger Cowans.
Dodsworth, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1936.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 September 1936!
Which were the important events of 19 September 1936 ?
- Heine Westenfluss's birthday, from Gundam SEED DESTINY.
- Hermione Granger's birthday, from J.K. Rowling's series Harry Potter.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Saint Kitts and Nevis - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1983)
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day (traditional - beginning in 2003, the holiday is held on the third Monday of September.)
- Chile - Armed Forces Day
- Church of England - Theodore of Tarsus
- Also see September 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Januarius
- In ancient Greece, the sixth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the procession to Eleusis began at the Kerameikos in Athens.
- Alfred A Oerter Jr: Astoria, New York -- Discus (1956, 60, 64, 68 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Adger Cowans: American photographer, freelance since 1963.
- Al Oerter: American athlete, he won 4 gold medals at the Olympics (1956, 60, 64, and 68)in the discus throw, a feat only matched by Carl Lewis in the long jump (4 consecutive victories).
- Maurice Pourchon: French educator, a history and geography teacher.
- Roland Lefevre: France sport Champion.
- Martin Fay: Irish fiddler (The Chieftains) (d. 2012)
- Anna Karen: South African English actress
- Milan Marcetta: Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2014)
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?