Saturday 19 September 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean Auroux and Freda Payne.
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror, directed by John Rawlins, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
You can also have a look at the whole 1942 or at September 19 across the years.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 19 September 1942 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror
Which were the important events of 19 September 1942 ?
- Heine Westenfluss's birthday, from Gundam SEED DESTINY.
- Hermione Granger's birthday, from J.K. Rowling's series Harry Potter.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Saint Kitts and Nevis - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1983)
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day (traditional - beginning in 2003, the holiday is held on the third Monday of September.)
- Chile - Armed Forces Day
- Church of England - Theodore of Tarsus
- Also see September 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Januarius
- In ancient Greece, the sixth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the procession to Eleusis began at the Kerameikos in Athens.
See other famous people born on 19 September
Jean Auroux: School teacher, he bacame mayor of Roanne where he was sued for corruption in 2002 but let go in 2011.
Freda Payne: American singer and actress.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Subscribe to our Newsletter
What news were making the headlines those days in September 1942?
- Life: OPA Chief Leon Henderson
- Time: TIME Magazine Cover: General Sir Harold Alexander -- Sep. 14, 1942
- Life: War gliders
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
This is the classic work that tells the true story surrounding the miraculous visions of St. Bernadette Soubirous at Lourdes, France in 1858. Werfel, a highly respected anti-Nazi writer from Vienna, became a Jewish refugee who barely escaped death in ...
Occupied by enemy troops, a small, peaceable town comes face-to-face with evil imposed from the outside—and betrayal born within the close-knit community In this masterful tale set in Norway during World War II, Steinbeck explores the effects of invasion on ...
The story of Tzu Hsi is the story of the last empress in China. In the novel, Nobel Prize Winner, Pearl S. Buck recreates the life of one of the most interesting rulers during a time of intense turbulence.
A lovely romance novel that's once a bestseller and was made into a movie (in 1944) and is praised for its aesthetic beauty for ages, is what's this novel And Now Tomorrow's short introduction.
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Tell the world why 19 September 1942 is such a special date for you!