Tuesday 19 September 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Susanne Holst and Artur Ekert.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The Hustler, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Dick Powell Theatre.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 19 September 1961 ?
- Heine Westenfluss's birthday, from Gundam SEED DESTINY.
- Hermione Granger's birthday, from J.K. Rowling's series Harry Potter.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Saint Kitts and Nevis - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1983)
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day (traditional - beginning in 2003, the holiday is held on the third Monday of September.)
- Chile - Armed Forces Day
- Church of England - Theodore of Tarsus
- Also see September 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Januarius
- In ancient Greece, the sixth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the procession to Eleusis began at the Kerameikos in Athens.
- Susanne Holst: German physician, journalist and TV host.
- Artur Ekert: Polish-English physicist and academic.
- Betty and Barney Hill claim that they saw a mysterious craft in the sky and that it tried to abduct them.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 19 September 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
- Roy Orbison - Crying
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Johnny Tillotson - Without You
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - One Track Mind
- The Dreamlovers - When We Get Married
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?