Saturday 19 September 2009
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Pandorum, directed by Christian Alvart, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 September 2009!
Which were the important events of 19 September 2009 ?
- Heine Westenfluss's birthday, from Gundam SEED DESTINY.
- Hermione Granger's birthday, from J.K. Rowling's series Harry Potter.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Saint Kitts and Nevis - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1983)
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day (traditional - beginning in 2003, the holiday is held on the third Monday of September.)
- Chile - Armed Forces Day
- Church of England - Theodore of Tarsus
- Also see September 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Januarius
- In ancient Greece, the sixth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the procession to Eleusis began at the Kerameikos in Athens.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 19 September
- A six-nation east African regional bloc consisting of Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda urges global sanctions on Eritrea for backing Islamist rebels in neighbouring war-torn Somalia. (IOL)
- Two men are arrested in Denver, Colorado, United States, as part of an FBI terror probe. (AP via Google News)
- Attacks by rebels in Yemen are reported despite a ceasefire. (BBC)
- Pro and anti government protestors demonstrate in the Thai capital Bangkok and near the Preah Vihear Temple along the border with Cambodia. (Xinhua)
- A gay pride march in Belgrade, Serbia, is called off after police and Prime Minister Mirko Cvetković tell organisers they could not guarantee its safety. (ABC News)
- An earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale occurs off the coast of Bali in Indonesia. (BBC)
- DNA tests confirm that Islamist bomber Noordin Mohamed Top is dead. (BBC)
- Treaty of Lisbon:
- French President Nicolas Sarkozy warns the Czech Republic it will have to face the “consequences” if President Václav Klaus refuses to sign the Lisbon Treaty allowing it to enter into force. (''The Irish Times'')
- Four people are seriously injured in a bear attack in Takayama, Gifu Prefecture, Japan. (BBC)
- The German government raises its terrorism alert level after al Qaeda posted a video on the Internet threatening attacks in Germany based on the outcome of this month's elections. (CNN)
- Two German ships become the first Western commercial vessels to navigate the Northern Sea Route. (BBC)
- Singer Vera Lynn, aged 92, becomes the oldest artist to obtain a number one album in the United Kingdom. (''The New York Times'')
- France's government holds emergency talks with farmers to avert protests over falling dairy prices. (BBC)
- Pope Benedict XVI announces he is to hold a special meeting of Roman Catholic bishops to discuss the concerns and challenges of the Church in the Middle East in October 2010. (''The Irish Times'')
- Hundreds of parachutists from the United States, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands commemorate the 65th anniversary of Operation Market Garden near Arnhem, the Netherlands. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Becky Simmons becomes the first Guernsey-born person to swim the English Channel. (''The Guernsey Press'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?