Sunday 20 August 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
5th Ave Girl, directed by Gregory La Cava, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 20 August 1939 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
John, the Soldier of Vengeance
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 20 August 1939 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
See other famous people born on 20 August
- 1st black bowling league formed (National Bowling Association)
- Russ offensive under General Zjoekov against Japanese invasion in Mongolia
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1939?
- Life: Baby actress
- Time: TIME Magazine Cover: General Maurice Gamelin -- Aug. 14, 1939
- Life: FSAs Paul McNutt
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
The Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression, a book that galvanized—and sometimes outraged—millions of readers. First published in 1939, Steinbeck’s Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression chronicles the Dust Bowl migration of the 1930s and tells the story ...
This number-one bestselling novel is based on the true story of one of the most notorious murder cases in French history. The heroine, Henriette Deluzy-Desportes, governess to the children of the Duc de Praslin, found herself strangely drawn to her ...
The only hardcover edition of the beloved, internationally best-selling gothic mystery. EVERYMAN'S LIBRARY CONTEMPORARY CLASSICS. The unassuming young heroine of Rebecca finds her life changed overnight when she meets Maxim de Winter, a handsome and wealthy widower whose sudden proposal ...
- A rediscovery. WICKFORD POINT follows "The Late George Apley as the second of Marquand's acclaimed and bestselling novels that Back Bay has restored to print.-
Tell the world why 20 August 1939 is such a special date for you!