Wednesday 20 August 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jennie George and Alan Lee.
Shoeshine, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching The Walter Compton News.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 1947!
Which were the important events of 20 August 1947 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
- Jennie George: Australian labor union executive.
- Alan Lee: English painter and illustrator.
- James Pankow: American trombonist and songwriter (Chicago).
- José Wilker: Brazilian actor director and producer (d. 2014).
- Ray Wise: American actor.
- Franz VM Cumont: Belgian religious historian, dies at 79.
- Boston Braves hit a million attendance for 1st time
- Turner Caldwell in D-558-I sets aircraft speed record, 1131 kph.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 August 1947
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Lady from Twenty-Nine Palms - Tony Pastor & His Orchestra
- The Lady from 29 Palms - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?