Saturday 20 August 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
The Cremator, directed by Juraj Herz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 20 August 2011 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 20 August
- 28 ampndash Arab Spring and the Libyan civil war: In the Battle of Tripoli, Libyan rebels take control of the nation's capital, effectively overthrowing the government of Muammar Gaddafi.
- At least six Pakistani police officers are killed and 50 injured in an attack in Karachi. (Xinhua)
- Heavy fighting is reported in the capital Tripoli as the rebel advance continues. (''The Telegraph'')
- Arab-Israeli conflict:
- One Israeli is killed, seven are wounded in Beersheba and three Palestinian illegal aliens are wounded near the city of Ashdod by incoming mortars and rockets launched from the Gaza Strip. (AFP via Google News)
- A pair of earthquakes, magnitude 7.1 and 7.0, occur in Vanuatu. (USGS)
- 2011 Atlantic hurricane season:
- Tropical Storm Harvey is expected to cross the coast of Belize with a tropical storm watch in place for Guatemala and parts of Honduras. (Alertnet)
- Tropical Storm Irene forms with a tropical storm warning in place for Puerto Rica, the US Virgin Islands, the British Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda amongst others. (Hurricane Terrapin)
- At least 25 people die in a bus crash in Afghanistan's Kandahar Province. (BBC)
- A pilot dies as an RAF Red Arrows aeroplane crashes at the Bournemouth Air Festival following a display. (BBC)
- A First Air Boeing 737 crashes in the northern Canadian territory of Nunavut near the hamlet of Resolute Bay with fifteen people on board, killing 12. (''Globe and Mail'')
- At least 10,000 people gather in the Indian capital New Delhi to support a hunger strike by social activist Anna Hazare in support of tougher anti-corruption legislation. (Reuters)
- In football, the start of the Spanish La Liga 2011–12 season is delayed by a players' strike. (AFP via France 24)
- Striking Verizon Communications workers will return to work from a strike on the night of Monday, August 22, 2011, even without a formal contract. (Journal Star of Peoria)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?