Wednesday 20 December 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
The Innocents, directed by Jack Clayton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 20 December 1961 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Dominic of Silos
- Also see December 20 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The first All Faiths Day was celebrated in 2003 in Canandaigua, New York.
- Bonnie Marino: Cleveland, Ohio -- Playmate (Jun, 1990).
- Mohammad Fouad: Egyptian singer-songwriter and actor.
- Mike Keneally: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Dethklok).
- Freddie Spencer: American motorcycle racer.
- Tommaso Chieffi: Italian professional team sailor along with his brother, Enrico, world champions in 1995.
- Moss Hart: American director and playwright (d. 1961).
- Moss Heart, US dramatist (You can't take it with you), dies at age 57.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 20 December 1961 and get them!